Social Icons

Slider

Thursday, September 6, 2012

THIPS: Photography tips:: Composition


Composition

Rules are meant to be broken? Isn’t it true that one must understand the rule, before they can break it? Today I will be discussing a basic image composition rule. Once you understand it feel free to break it. Every image is YOUR art! I do however want to help you understand what makes an image visually appealing.

The most common rule of composition is the “rule of thirds”. You will find this rule amongst a broad spectrum of art- to include paintings and drawings. The rule of thirds is basically a division of an image to show the most interesting points. Imagine that your image is divided into 9 equal segments by 2 vertical and 2 horizontal lines. The cross sections of these lines is where you should position the subject of your image. In the example below I have placed my subject in two cross sections. It is okay if the subject is in only one.  If you are taking a landscape picture having the horizon follow one of the lines will add visual appeal.

By following the rule of thirds you will add balance and interest to every image. Keep in mind that there is always an exception to the rule. Just because an image doesn’t follow the rule does not make it a bad one!  So get out there and try it out! I’d love to see your photos e-mail them to me at silverlanephotography@yahoo.com

See my two examples below to show how an image can become a bit dull without following the rule. 

I've marked both cross sections with A Red X- this image follows the rule of thirds. It also incorporates one of my tips from last week!  Get low and to your subjects level. I find this image very intriguing.

This image does NOT follow the rule. While it is still a decent image it doesn't draw you in as the example above does. Had the image been moved to the left or right (into a cross section) it would have caught your eye more. 
The image above is also taken from above the subject. Read last weeks thip at http://silverlanephotographyblog.blogspot.com/2012/08/thips-photography-tips-kids.html
that talks about getting low and at the subjects level!

Thank you for reading today!I hope the examples help to show why the rule of thirds can be an important part of your photography.

Join me next Thursday for more THIPS! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment